Sunday, August 7, 2011

Echo Smartpen

I recently purchased an Echo Smartpen, and I love it!  What a useful tool for work, personal use, and just plain old fun. 

The Echo Smartpen (Echo for short) allows me to handwrite notes, draw out web site designs, and record audio.  I can then download my notes and audio right to my computer using the USB cable that comes the Echo.

Once my notes are downloaded to my computer, I can create images of them, email them, post them on Facebook, post them to Google Docs, create a .PDF of my notes, and even store them online. 

Check out this short video review of the Echo:  CNET's review of the Echo Smartpen.

I still handwrite a lot of things, so the Echo was definitely a must for me.  I usually handwrite my meeting notes, work related phone conversations, sketch out web site designs, writing new custom code for web sites and SharePoint projects that I’m working on.  For notes that I need to keep for a while, I would type them up on my computer. 

Now, I can use my Echo and I have only have to write my notes once, and I don’t even have to retype them.  There is an additional piece of software, “MyScript for Lightscribe” by Vision Objects, that converts my handwritten notes into typed text.  I tested this briefly, and it worked pretty well.  It only miss-interpreted a couple of words.  I was impressed.

The “MyScript for Lightscribe” software cost $29.95.  I felt it was worth the price, since it allows me to save time by only handwriting my notes once.

I actually handwrote a letter to my granddaughter, and I drew her picture in the letter.   I really like the design of the Echo.  It feel good in my hand, and its flat design on side, prevents it from rolling off a table. 

I turned on the audio recording feature (by tapping the pen on the REC icon at the bottom of the special paper for Echo) of Echo so that my voice would be recorded as I wrote the letter to my granddaughter.  I spoke each word out loud as I wrote them.

I then downloaded the letter to my computer and exported it out to a “Pencast PDF” file (this is basically a PDF file with audio and audio controls).   Next I emailed it to my granddaughter.  What a cool way to continue to handwrite letters, and for those of you trying to reduce your paper use, this is another great way to accomplish that, whether you are at work or home. 

Here is a simple to letter note that I have created that contains some audio:

Handwritten letters could become treasured family documents in a whole new way, and they could be passed down to future generations.  Think about how cool it would be for your great, great, great grandchildren to see an old letter written in your own hand and your actual voice speaking the words.  I think this would something that some family members would really treasure. 

However you choose to use your Echo Smartpen, it certainly feels more like the natural way of writing and drawing; outside using a standard pencil, pen, etc.. - at least for me.  I love handwriting notes and sketching things out, so the Echo Smartpen has quickly become one of my favorites new technology toys.  I mean tools..

Enjoy!

Post Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment